The core training programme for new teachers is the IH Certificate in Teaching Languages (IHC or IHCTL) which is a corporate equivalent of CELTA. The IHC has been offered by International House since 1962, and is regularly updated and revised to reflect new thinking in language teaching and teacher training. It is available not only for training teachers of English, but is also offered in different versions according to the target language trainees will be teaching. The IHC is offered in a number of Teacher Training Centres worldwide.
The main aim of this course is to prepare teachers for a job or career in EFL and / or provide teachers with an internationally- recognized EFL qualification.
The core course covers the following areas:
• Developing the 4 skills
. Analysing language
• Lesson Planning and planning a series of lessons
• Introducing, revising, practising and correcting language at a range of levels
• Classroom management skills
• Motivating and challenging learners
• Adapting and responding to different learning and teaching environments.
Mode of assessment
Tutors will monitor your progress, assess your written assignments and lesson plans. They will observe your teaching and give you feedback on your teaching. You tutors will also assess your lesson plans and read your self evaluation on teaching.
Is this course for you?
The IHC is designed for people who have no or little training experience and want a recognised teaching qualification OR for experienced English teachers who would like to develop their teaching skills and gain a recognised qualification.
There will be one or two tutors. They will guide trainees through the input sessions and mark the assignments. They will also observe the trainee teaching and provide feedback on lessons
The course is extremely demanding, and 100% attendance is required. Also, a considerable amount of work will be required outside the scheduled contact hours. That is why any other commitments during the 4 weeks of the course will definitely prevent a trainee from successful performance.
Nowadays there is a rapidly increasing demand for English as a Foreign Language for Young Learners (YL) programmes and as a result for YL teachers throughout the world. In response to this demand for qualified teachers of English to YL in Ukraine as well as around the world, IH Kharkiv started running the IH course for teaching Young Learners – IHCYLT.
Successful completion of the course leads to internationally recognized TEFL qualification IH CYLT.
Aims of the course
The main aim of the course is to prepare teachers to teach Young Learners. Usually, these teachers will already have had some form of training in the teaching of ELT to adults (e.g. International House Certificate in Teaching English to Adults / Cambridge CELTA/ SIT TESOL) but some may not have had previous experience of teaching Young Learners.
Staffing of the course
Courses are run by a tutor approved by International House World Organisation. One tutor normally runs a group of 6 trainees.
Course participants must:
• be competent English speakers
• at least 18 years old
• have had some initial training in ELT
• display an interest in the teaching of Young Learners.
Centres must ensure that all candidates for the course fulfill the above requirements. Applications should be made on the form provided. The application form should be completed carefully and returned to IH Kharkiv. We will acknowledge your application as soon as possible and if your written application is satisfactory we will arrange an interview for you.
Internationally Recognized Teacher Training Certificate Course SIT TESOL Certificate Course at International House Language Center, Kharkiv, Ukraine.
Would you like to get certified to teach English all over the world?
Are you considering a career in TESOL?
Have you been looking at TESOL and TEFL courses?
Internationally recognized SIT TESOL Certificate Course at International House Language Center, Kharkiv, Ukraine can become the first step towards your dream! Information here: SIT TESOL site
About the course:
You will be able to:
• develop the skills to be a effective teacher that employers want to hire and students enjoy learning with
• benefit from hands-on guidance and assistance
• observe how a successful language school operates
• take advantage of competitively priced tuition and housing
• have access to computers, internet, etc
• encounter friendly, professional, experienced and supportive staff
• earn an internationally recognized certificate
Who should take the course?
The course is suitable for people interested in developing as an EFL/ESL teacher.
• Novice teachers: The course offers solid, practical, teaching techniques to ensure you enter the classroom with confidence.
• Experienced teachers: Through a process of reflection, experienced teachers are able to explore and critique their teaching, deepen their practice and principles, and implement positive changes in a supportive environment. They will also be able to explore a wide range of teaching and classroom management techniques and workshop design.
• Non-native speakers: It’s not only native speakers who can teach English. The course is open to anyone who can function fully in an English-speaking environment.
Applicants are required to complete a written pre-course assessment task and undergo an interview (which may be conducted by telephone). The pre-course assessment task and interview are screening measures which are used to assess suitability for entry to the program and for course planning purposes. Specific results from these assessments will not be provided to applicants.
• possess a high school diploma and preferably a bachelor’s degree
• show interest in and commitment to teaching ESL or EFL
• submit the application form and a short essay
• have a positive attitude regarding experiential activities and working in groups
• demonstrate spoken and written English proficiency. Non-native speakers need a minimum TOEFL score of 550 for the pen-and-paper test or 213 for the computerized version, or an IELTS Band 6.0 or higher.
The Application Process
• Read as much as you can about the course. Decide whether you think it would suit your needs.
• Contact us by email or phone (+38 057 760 1060 / +38 050 912 8415), or drop by and see us if you have any unanswered questions. We will provide you with more detailed information about the course.
• Complete the application form, including the essay, and either send it to us by email or bring it in to us.
• If you are in Ukraine, we will arrange a formal interview with you.
• If you are outside Ukraine, we will be in touch via email.
• Pay your application fee and deposit to reserve your place on the course.
Submitting your Application - The Ukrainian postal system can be very slow and unreliable. Therefore, in order to ensure that we receive your application and can process it in a timely manner, we request that you e-mail your applications as an attachment to email@example.com
All applications for the SIT TESOL Certificate Course in Kharkiv, must be sent directly to us for processing. Feel free to download the application form and email it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org